Questions to ask, tips, and what you will need for your new puppy
- What food are they currently eating?
- When are the next vaccines due?
- When does the puppy have to be spayed or neutered?
- How many times per day does the dog eat?
- How much should I feed the dog?
- Does the puppy have any allergies?
- When are they due for flea and tick prevention?
- Which toys do they prefer?
- How do they respond to social situations (with other dogs, with kids, in the car)?
- Select the size and breed you are comfortable with owning
- Visit the puppy with your children and other dogs you may have
- Learn about the history of the dog you are selecting for example: Where was the dog before being sent to the rescue?
- Also ask about bite history
- Can you financially afford a dog (Vet visits, bedding, toys, food, grooming, etc)?
- Can the rescue furnish references?
- Are you willing to train the dog? What is cute as a puppy, isn’t as an adult, such as jumping and biting
- Know that dogs are a lot of work and require time and patience. Do you have both?
- Figure out how active your family is as puppies have a lot of energy.
What You Will Need?
- Collar and a leash
- Food and water bowls
- Blankets and bedding
- Safe chew toys
- ID tags
- LOTS OF LOVE AND PATIENCE!!!